Paint your Wagon and come along!

One of my all-time favourite films is a musical comedy with Lee Marvin and Clint Eastwood - "Paint Your Wagon". I hadn't seen it for years when a friend made a dvd copy for me and I've spent the previous two nights in fits of laughter watching it. There are some wonderfully witty and hilarious lines and well worth reproducing here.
Ben Rumson's (Lee Marvin) thoughts on people and civilization in a song:

God made the mountains, God made the sky,
God made the people,
God knows why!

He fixed up the planet as best as he could,
then in come the people and fucked it up good! (he actually sings "gummed it up", but I know he really wanted to say fucked but the censors wouldn't allow it)
The first thing you know.

They civilize the foothills and everywhere He put-hills, mountains and valleys bellow,
They come along and take 'em and civilize and make 'em a place where no civilized person would go!
The first thing you know.

They civilize what's pretty by putting up a city where nothing that's pretty can grow,
They muddy up the winter and civilize it in'ta a place too uncivilized, even for snow!
The first thing you know.

They civilize left, they civilize right, 'till nothing is left! 'till nothing is right!
They civilize freedom 'till no-one is free,
no-one except, by coincidence, me!
The first thing you know.

The boozers in prison and the criminaly - isn' and only the rascals have gold
When I see a parson I gotta put my arse-on a wagon that follows the tail of a crow!

The first thing you know - I pick up and blow!

No comments: