What the FUCKIN' Blazes??!!

As I write there is the sound of gunshots in the streets. It's freakin' 12.30 lunchtime for freek's sake! I actually began this post with the following:

The United Nations Commission for Finding Things Out has found out that Brazil is: Corrupt, Violent and Racist. What? Really? How so??

Then I heard the shots and modified the post. Last Sunday night around 11pm there was a big gun battle, the worst I've heard since I've been here, must've gone on for a good 10 mins and I believe I counted 3 or 4 separate weapons from different directions. Perhaps today is the counter-attack. I took a peek out on the terrace and saw the usual bunch of skinny clowns rubber necking in some directions, then I saw one of them with a hand gun in his ...er hand (sorry!), it was a big 'un, quite possibly a Browning 9mil or whatever the equivalent is here; that's the first time I've actually seen one armed, I thought about taking a pic with my mobile but it wouldn't've captured anything at that distance.

I've had another surreal experience at the bank, my card was blocked because I haven't yet updated my details by proving my income. I mean I've been depositing between R$2000 and R$4000 every month without fail for the past six years and every year I have to prove that I earn a salary, I mean WHAT THE BLAZES?!

4 comments:

Helô said...

Change the bank, dear. Preferably to one where you have a freind, or a friend of a friend. I'm sure one of your students can refer you to a nice young female manager :)

waiting for the beer email,
beijo

Alan said...

I think all the banks have the same policy - i.e. treat you with suspicion unless you can deposit at least a million a month; the last surreal experience (click on it in the post) was at Banrisul.

Helô said...

not if you know the manager. that's how i got my oh-so-posh account at bank boston.

banrisul is the worst, i think. yesterday i transfered 50% of the pensão to the ex account's (at the same bank, mind you), and then i wanted to get the remaining 50% to deposit in my account. no chance! the computer said that i had already taken all the money allowed for that day! i mean, WHAT TH BLAZES?? i left the bank without a single real, while they kept everything!!!!

Candy (me) said...

Helô's right.. unfortunately, here in Brazil, the thing is to always have someone who knows someone else inside that can help you.. and at X-mas etc you give this person a bottle of wine or some other gift. O.o

Just for the record: it's as if we didn't pay enormous rates and help those poor banks become THE wealthiest "business" in Brazil. We still gotta kiss their asses.. =/

Hugsss you two ! :-)

(what about our beer night? (moi with only a tiny amount of beer cause of the lithium..but still worth meeting for some laughs!)