National Identity Crisis

An ongoing debate amongst Welsh people is whether we can accept being called British, there are those that vehemently refuse to be called British and only accept Welsh! Never "English" of course.
"Welsh! Never British!", I've seen in these on line discussions.

CRAP! You are British!

Whenever people ask me here where I'm from or what my nationality is I always reply: Britain and British but I'm not English (because it's far easier to begin thus), THEN I have to go on to explain that I'm Welsh and about the differences.

WE ARE BRITISH! GO STUDY HISTORY!
From the Romano-Greek - "Pretanni" or "Britannia" and - DUH! - think about your school history lessons...when were the Romans around?? UH? EH?? and then... when did the Angles, Saxons and Jutes arrive??? Wasn't there a few hundred years time lapse? Who were there first? The Pretanni or the Saesson and Angles?? Is it some kind of coincidence that ANGLE-LAND sounds remarkably like ENGLAND??!! OF COURSE NOT!!

I'm British AND Welsh.

And of course certainly not English.

Thank you and good night.

4 comments:

Airton Jordani said...

Well done! :)

Unknown said...

Aye. When the Saes came in, they pushed the BRITONS up into Cumbria, Wales and Cornwall. The Cumbrians didn't last long, but the people of Cymru are definately the remnants of the Britons. Therefore British. Anglo-Saxons AREN'T Britons, in the classical sense.

I'd rather be called British than Welsh, because I hate that racist Saxon "Welsh" tag. Better Cymru, methinks.

Alan said...

al iguana,
glad you agree with me, there seem to be an awful lot of people with some strange ideas, they ought to go study history. Aye - Cymru rather than Welsh (WE are not the foreigners!)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.