4 c Seen on Street Lollypop Temperature/Time Indicators

WTF?? They told me Brazil was a Tropical country! Brazilians don't seem to have grasped the concept of central heating. Any heating in fact. I have one electric/oil radiator that takes at least 20 minutes to begin getting hot and another 20 minutes to heat the air in my bathroom, a space of about 6 metres cubed, any bigger space and the radiator's about as useful as an Incredibly Useless Thing at an Incredibly Useless Thing World Convention (paradox, if the IUT were at an IUT convention, then surely it would be UseFull?). I also have a two-bar "Quartz" Heater (what the blazes does that mean? Is it supposed to tell the time as well?) that's fantastically effective. If you're sitting at a distance of no more than 30cm immediately in front of it.
In the Great Outdoors, Real Gaúchos wear ponchos. I haven't quite got the cojones to go out with my head poked through a hole in a stripy woolly blanket, I have a big shaggy coat made in Nepal, probably from a skinned Yeti, bought in Oxfam, if it's good enough for Everest, it's good enough for PoA winters.
Today I have to enrol for next semester's subject at the university, I've chosen Medieval II (having successfully completed Med. I - Charlemagne and the Pippins) and Theories of History, wonder wot that is then? I survived the first semester pretty well and even got a 10 for my review of Marc Bloch's The Historian's Craft.
As I've previously mentioned, I've landed the job of Quiz Master at the Shamrock on Wednesday nights, actually it's nothing so fancy, I don't get to wear a tuxedo, but I do get a microphone. Hours of difficult study, research and dedication are spent in order to comply the list of 20 demanding and challenging questions ("What is the capital of Scotland?"). Actually I don't prepare the questions, I just ask 'em and fool around a bit, I've discovered in myself a bit of a talent for fooling around with the microphone (OOOOOEEERRRRR!!!), actually years of facing groups of grumplesome teenagers and serious Middle Aged Business Persons in English classes have honed my skills of banter and wit, so it's not so difficult.
Back to work, just pull on my Arctic Blizzard Fisherman's Friend Yeti Skin Overcoat.
P.S. Am I allowed to drink Twinning's Earl Grey with powdered milk?

1 comment:

Rogério Penna said...

haham everyone is told Brazil is tropical, and most of them have some problems in southern Brazil.

I remember once when Tarja, the singer of the finnish band heavy metal band Nightwish, came to her first show in Brazil... in the winter in Curitiba! Of course, she knew Brazil was tropical! Too bad the temperature out of the airplane was 3C. And she only had t-shirts and the like.

She got a terrible flu and their first show had to be postponed because of her ached throat.

That said, winter temperatures in Porto Alegre are similar, in my opinion, to end of october temperatures in London.