People always ask me what I miss most about Britain. Without hesitation: PUBS and decent beer. Oh and summer festivals.
My local in Brynsadler, whenever I visited my folks, used to be The Ivor Arms, my old man would be down there without fail at 12 midday every Sunday, he was going there for nigh on 30 year, but now apparently it's "Y Draenog" posh pub /restaurant and the old man refuses to go in, don't know why, never been there meself.
My last abode in Wales was Abercwmboi, infamously known for it's Phernicite (bugger me if I can find that word in the diksh, phurni? ferni? pherni? furni?), which would spew out sulphur laden yellow smoke in the process of cleaning up our coal so that it wouldn't pollute, sweet eh? In Abercwmboi was Y Cap Goch which was decent enough, but just up the road in Cwmaman was / is the Temple Bar which looked like yer old Granny's front living room, infact I'm pretty sure it WAS yer old Granny's front living room 'cept with a bar and a few pumps of good real ale. The old dear there was about 80 something and served yer pint with a trembling hand that spilled half of it before you'd get your mits on, but no-one had the heart to protest. There were two waddling fat dogs that the old dear used to constantly feed chocolate to, hence waddling and fat.
Oh, must dash, something's just come up (OOOOEEERR!)

No comments: