Exactly now as I'm writing this, (21:45, June 20) I can hear the noise around the city, the roar of a zillion fireworks going off at the same time, the kick-off of the Grêmio v Boca Juniors match, the final for the Libertadores for the Tokyo Cup, in other words it will decide who's going to go to Tokyo for the World Clubs' Championship. Last year was won by the other PoA team, Internacional, Grêmio's city rival. The city's been gearing up for it for days (weeks in fact since the championship began). When I passed the stadium on Sunday morning there were crowds there already queueing for tickets, there were riots and mounted police were sent in when the tickets sold out.

Now all is silent, I think the match has started. I'll be alerted to a goal when I hear another roar. Trouble is I won't know who's scored, as the Internacional supporters will be supporting Boca Jnr. I guess the roar will be louder if Grêmio score. For the first match last week I really thought Grêmio had won because of the racket (three times), turned out it was Boca's win.

Grêmio need FOUR clear goals to win. Even if they win 3 - 0, they don't go to Tokyo.

Hate football meself, buggers up the traffic, keeps me awake with the blasted fireworks. Not beautiful colours and lights, just constant BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG all frinkin' night.

No comments: